Our Family Services team support and provide Toddler Groups in communities throughout Highland providing a wide range of support, information and guidance to Toddler Group committees and parents/carers who attend with their children.
Family Services delivery is tailored to the needs of each group including:
CALA Play and Learn Sessions
Come along and join us in our engaging and friendly environment for babies and young children. Enjoy some child led, play based activities indoors and out, including messy play, craft, imaginary play, singing and physical games. These sessions are currently running each week at:
Alness – Perrins Centre – Monday’s 9.30am – 11am
Nairn – Community Hall – Monday’s 1.30pm – 3pm
Inverness – Merkinch Centre – Tuesday’s 9.30am – 11pm
Aviemore – Community Hub – Tuesday’s 1.30pm – 3pm
Muir of Ord – Village Hall – Wednesday 9.30am – 11am
Inverness – Raigmore – Thursday 9.30am – 11am
- Supporting both new and established committees as required
- Supporting parental involvement in the running of the group and engagement in children’s play and learning
- Advice and support on how to run a group eg. session format, layout, health and safety linked to national guidance
- Being a listening ear, facilitating discussions, signposting to family information and guidance eg. healthy eating, sleeping, financial support
- Linking parents/families with other professionals
- Supporting parent confidence in providing play experiences and value in the positive impact this has for them and their children
- Increasing awareness of the benefit of a range of experiences on children’s and adult mental health and wellbeing.
- Developing effective relationships and parent networks
Learning and development are supported through play:
- Book bug sessions – many of our Family Service Practitioners deliver fun, interactive stories, songs and rhymes using Book bug and his puppet friends.
- Baby massage – provision of baby massage sessions for parents and their babies to join in with.
- Provision of introductory sensory messy play experiences using eg. shaving foam, gloop, water play, finger & foot painting, treasure baskets and boxes, energetic play and song time that can be also be done at home.
- Active play sessions