The CALA team want to share our recent good news with our members.
Mid March saw a three day assessment with colleagues from Investors in People Scotland, and we are delighted that CALA has now received formal accreditation for the work we firmly believe offers our young people their voice in how we shape childcare services and career pathways both now and in the future.
Thanks to all who took part; illustrated below are some examples of identified good practice from IIP Scotland. These findings just reflect the sterling work carried out by the various CALA staff teams.
Investors in Young People: I would like to congratulate all at Care and Learning Alliance on your considerable achievements to date. You are clearly focussed on ensuring that attraction; recruitment; selection, integration and development of Young People in your Organisation is as effective as possible. The IIYP on-site Assessment Activity identified a number of examples of good practice. These are as follows:
- You understand the skills you must support Young People to develop
- There is support for work experience; training programmes and qualifications appropriate to the needs of the Young Person (Opening Doors; Modern Apprenticeships; Graduate Placements)
- You use relevant methods of support for Young People including formal and informal learning and development, mentoring and coaching
- You seek to identify career pathways for Young People
- You seek to support Young People to develop relevant Qualifications
- Leaders in the Organisation have an understanding of the needs and differences relating to Young People
- You understand the issues around transition from school, college or unemployment to work and effectively manage this transition
- Conversations about progress and performance occur regularly
- You ensure that there is a recognition that confidence and self-belief is important and is built upon
- Young People have the opportunity to make decisions and are supported when they make mistakes
I think true partnership with our young people and the value we place on this is summed in the final point above; we make mistakes, but we learn from these and are supported through this process.